A Trinity education is what a Trinitian learns when he is not attending classes

Trinity College Farm


In 1908, when Rev.A.G.Fraser undertook a complete reorganization of the school, he stressed the needs of the national and brought the boys into closer contact with the life of our people. Accordingly Agriculture was included into the curriculum. In addition, garden plots were made all over school for practical work. Every class had practical lessons twice a week consisting of digging lining, holing and manuring. What the school needed was a farm for agricultural education.

In 1925, when Rev.Campbell came out as Principal, School took possession of an estate of five acres at Bahirawakanda where the police Kennels now stand, along with it three acres of paddy field on the north boundary of the school. Thus while the paddy field introduced the urban lads to paddy cultivation the tea, rubber and cocoa plantations through small and worked mostly by hired labour, gave them some knowledge and some insight into the major cash crops of Ceylon.

The farm remained with the school for twenty years. Yet soon after the World War II, after the end of the twenty year lease, it was abandoned. After World War II, Agricultural education at Trinity was confined chiefly to working garden plots on the school premises until the arrival of Mr.Norman Walter as the as the Principal  in 1952. He was able to obtain 10 acres of land at Haragama. Vegetables and fruits contributed considerably to the boarding house diet.  Suddenly the school had to relinquish the farm at Habarana after 13 years of hard toil. By May 1966, the farm was shifted to Balagolla during the era of Principal Mr.Oorloff. This is the first time that the school had a farm on its own. The land at Balagolla was Sixty acres in extent.

Out of all the men who had contributed their share to popularize agriculture at Trinity, Mr.W.A.V. Sinnathamby cannot be forgotten for his service rendered to Trinity. Being a Botany Graduate from Oxford, he taught diploma students and was persuaded in 1952 to take over the farm at Balagolla in addition to his teaching and House Mastering at Trinity. In 1968, he gave up teaching and took over the management of the farm in Balagolla (Kundasale). It was a mixed farm with variety of crops and livestock from the very beginning. The Trinity College farm continue upto today now named after the great personality Sinnathamby, as one of the great achievements owned by Trinity.

Since May 1965, when Trinity went into occupation of its land at Pallekelle (Balagolla), thousands of Trinity boys have contributed their share of work to make the farm what it is today. Annual or Term-Wise visits are organized by the college to take the students to the Farm from time to time to experience and help towards the Farm’s activities.

Return to Location Topography

Location Summary

Inauguration : 1908 Initiation : Rev. A. G. Fraser

Location Map

Map - Asgiriya